golden girl

golden girl

onsdag 30 mars 2016

The art school dropout.

I just want to inform you that I´m no longer a student at the art studio. I´m an art school drop out. But don´t be alarmed.  Things will work out fine.  I felt that the best decision for me was to stop running like a scalded rat between the art studio, my job and my family obligations. I´ve in  no way completed my art education, it´s an ongoing process that will last forever, I hope.

 I´m now my own boss working in my own art studio. To prepare myself for the business side of being an artist I´ve been listening to several podcasts for the past couple of years. I think everyone interested in leadership, business and personal growth can benefit from listening to these podcasts. I am also taking an online course in how to build a platform and how to get published. Here are links to the podcasts:




This past month I´ve been testing different art mediums. I´ve goofed around with a set of Rembrandt soft pastels that I bought in the eighties. They´re of excellent quality, a wonderful media, the colors are vibrant and exciting to work with.


Self portrait from a photograph from 1967.





Erica age 6. Soft pastels on brown paper.


Just fooling around with soft pastels.


Soft pastels and pencil

The next medium I wanted to explore was colored pencils. I´ve an ocean of colored pencils:
a set of Caran d´Ache Pablo, a set of Caran d´Ache Luminance and a set of Caran d´Ache watercolor pencils Aquarelle. All together 180 colored pencils!!! 
I´m not particularly good at the technique, but colored pencils is the medium  I´ve used quite a bit over the years.



Pablo colored pencils on Canson paper.


Luminance colored pencils on white Fabriano paper.



Unfinished portrait.
Pablo colored pencils.






Sketch, pencil on paper


I´m also working on a book project, trying to determine what medium and manner I´ll use for the illustrations. 

is a French illustrator who makes magnificent pictures. From what I have found out he´s using gouache and oil. So in spite of my 180 colored pencils, I  think gouache will be my next medium to  explore.




Benjamin Lacombe: from the book Snow-white

Good bye for now, see you next week.
Yes, next week! One of the assignments in my online course is to set a goal to make a blog post at least once a week. So bear with me when I´m inviting you to visit this blog again and again. It´s a lonely life working in your studio every day so blogging is a way for me to keep in touch with you and be social in a somewhat digital way.













4 kommentarer:

  1. Äntligen mera blogg!Tyckte mycket om flickan med katt + ditt självporträtt frn barndomen. Vad du har utvecklats och jag hoppas du trivs bland alla dessa färgpennor av diverse märken. Illustrationen med Snövit var otrolig förstår att du tilltalas av konstnärens fantasi - det gör jag oxå.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Tack för feedback. Jag behöver teckna varenda vakna minut för att ta slut på alla mina färre. Tänk om jag slapp tänka på mat, jobb, städning och bokslut! Men jag är tacksam att jag har fått tid att "verka medan dagen brinner".

      Radera
  2. Lika fascinerande som att följa din utveckling med målarmedierna är det att ana den inre process du tydligen satt igång. Du tycks vara klok nog att söka balans i livskarusellen. Att ta hänsyn till vad som är bra, bättre eller bäst kanske var det som fattades en del annars välkända mästare. Jag gillar din strävan. Och dina sketcher.

    SvaraRadera
    Svar
    1. Det är intressant hur uppslukande det är vara inbegripen i en kreativ process. Jag glömmer tid och rum. Den disciplin jag lärde mig i Farighs ateljé är till stor nytta för mig nu; det är bara att hålla på så blir det till slut ett resultat.

      Radera